Thank you to everyone who attended the first Found8 supported 'Friends of Australian Landing Pad' by Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade).
Moderated by Trade and Investment Commissioner of Austrade Singapore, Amelia Walsh, we were joined by David Toh, Deputy Director, Venture Building from SG Innovate and Omaru Maruatona, CEO & Co-founder of Aiculus to discuss Cross-border Growth Hacking.
More from the evening...
What advice would you give to an Australian startup keen to grow into the region?
1. Leverage on the available government initiatives - DISG for early-stage startups, INDA for pitching, MAS for grants.
2. Corporates are always looking for startups to work with, so reaching out to large banks and international corporations in Singapore is one of the only places in the world where conversations with them are realistic and often fruitful.
3. Leverage your network, and use the small and tightly knit industries of Singapore to your advantage.
4. Stay educated and up to date on the funds and government grants becoming available to Australian.
Two things Australian startups coming into Singapore should keep in mind
1. Startups need to be honest with themselves about product market fit - For B2C, does the product or service work for the Singapore market? For B2B, is this product currently in Singapore, and is anyone trying to do the same thing right now?
2. Presenting yourself as an Australian company in Singapore, or an Australian and Singaporean company can be very important in how you're viewed by the Singapore market. Based on the industry, this will be something you'll have to gauge yourself.
Keep up to date with our upcoming events - subscribe to our newsletter below!
Interested in working with us? Enquire now to join the coworking community that's leading innovation in Singapore and KL.